What is Responsible Recruitment?
Responsible Recruitment aligns ethical labour practices with achievement of commercial goals to benefit both workers and your business.
A comprehensive review of relevant global social compliance standards and codes produces 27 responsible recruitment standards covering the sourcing and supply of workers – Please see below.
Ethical labour standards and responsible sourcing activities have tended to focus on the place of work. There is a growing awareness that many of the causes of worker mistreatment and exploitation in global supply chains occur outside the workplace and before employment in the process of recruitment. Risk assessments identify new outsourced labour supply models; migrant and vulnerable workers in precarious temporary, agency and seasonal work as presenting the greatest human rights risks in supply chains.
These risk assessments, together with new modern slavery, due diligence and transparency legislation, media focus, NGO and industry action are driving businesses to ensure workers in their supply chains are recruited ethically, professionally and responsibly. Read our Whitepaper to find out more.
What is the Responsible Recruitment Toolkit?
The Responsible Recruitment Toolkit (RRT) enables labour providers, employers and brands to raise the standard of recruitment in their business and global supply chains.
RRT is a pioneering, interactive, one-stop online toolkit that provides comprehensive and practical step by step guidance, tools and resources to support your business to embed responsible recruitment practices. The RRT platform enables each business to self-assess, track and report, internally and externally to clients, their progress made in embedding ethical and responsible management systems and business practices.
Subscribe now to access the full range of detailed practical steps, guidance, resources and progress reporting functions.
Register now for free to access key template policies and summary guidance.
Questions? Contact us to find out more.
What are the benefits of using the Responsible Recruitment Toolkit?
Benefits to Brands/Retailers:
- Robust, comprehensive, low cost capacity building tool to drive adoption of responsible recruitment practices down your supply chains
- Alignment with global standards supports collaborative working across brands to drive supply chain consistency and best practice methodology
- Progress reporting functionality provides increased transparency in labour practices in hard to reach levels of supply chains
- Enables domestic and global programmes to address key recruitment debt bondage and modern slavery risks in your supply chain
- Adoption of responsible recruitment standards drive better treatment and experiences for the most vulnerable and precarious workers in your supply chain
Benefits to In-House Recruiters/Labour Users:
- Low cost, straightforward, one-stop shop to support your business to understand and embed responsible recruitment practices in your own direct recruitment and demonstrate this to customers
- Understand what’s expected of any recruitment companies and labour providers you use and request their progress reports across all responsible recruitment standards to monitor current practices and work in partnership to drive continuous improvement
Benefits to Recruitment Companies/Labour Providers:
- Low cost, straightforward, one-stop shop to support your business to understand and embed responsible recruitment practices
- Demonstrate to current and potential clients that you are an ethical, professional and responsible business
- Stay up to date with developing responsible recruitment standards and requirements and join a growing movement of responsible recruiters
- Responsible recruitment practices promote worker engagement, retention and improved experience – better for workers, better for your business
Responsible Recruitment Standards
|1. BUSINESS STRUCTURE IS APPROPRIATE|
|2. ETHICAL STANDARDS ARE EMBEDDED|
|3. LABOUR SUPPLY CHAIN DUE DILIGENCE IS CARRIED OUT|
|4. PERSONAL DATA IS PROTECTED|
|5. NO RECRUITMENT FEES ARE PAID BY WORKERS|
|6. RECRUITMENT IS TRANSPARENT|
|7. LOCAL RECRUITMENT IS PROMOTED|
|8. NO CHILD LABOUR|
|9. LEGAL ELIGIBILITY TO WORK IS ESTABLISHED|
|10. ‘IMPOSTERS’ & HIDDEN WORKERS ARE PREVENTED|
|11. EMPLOYMENT STATUS IS RECOGNISED & APPROPRIATE||*|
|12. WAGES ARE PAID FAIRLY & PROPERLY||*|
|13. HOLIDAY ENTITLEMENT IS PROVIDED||*|
|14. BENEFITS ARE PROVIDED||*|
|15. EMPLOYMENT TAXES ARE PAID||*|
|16. WORKING TIME IS NOT EXCESSIVE||*|
|17. WORK IS SAFE||*|
|18. ACCOMMODATION IS SAFE & HYGIENIC||*|
|19. TRANSPORT IS SAFE||*|
|20. FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION IS RESPECTED|
|21. OPPORTUNITY & TREATMENT ARE FAIR & EQUAL|
|22. NO MISTREATMENT IS ALLOWED|
|23. CONDUCT & CAPABILITY ARE MANAGED||*|
|24. ACCESS TO REMEDY IS ENSURED|
|25. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ARE NOT PREVENTED||*|
|26. TERMINATION RIGHTS ARE PROVIDED||*|
|27. NO FORCED LABOUR|
*This standard applies to the supply/management of workers by a Labour Provider, rather than their direct employment.